Monday, December 22, 2008

Day 8 - Worst test of them ALL!!!!

Day 8 at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ today started out with a very easy test, ECT Holter Monitor being hooked up. Then off for a bit of a break and back for the great test of the Esophageal Monometry. This test by far has been and will be the worst one yet. With out sedation and very little numbing, if any, I had a tube stuck in my nose and to my stomach. I still have burning in the nose and throat. I laughed at one point just after vomiting, because what the nurse said and a conversation JG and I just had a few days prior on dumb things nurses will say. “Ok now don’t move, just breath, you can not breath while you are gagging, take deep breaths, and swallow” “would you like a little drink of water to coat your throat with?” “ok now don’t move, just relax your shoulders and drop your chin (all while gagging).” “It is ok just let it come up it is just mucus (hello I am gagging and vomiting what do you think I am going to do, swallow it?). Please can someone tell me how this sounds to someone that was sitting straight up on a gurney with a wall to her left and the nurse and machine to her right? Where was I really going to go and why in the world would I move just to experience even more pain? I don’t know but tonight I had some great laughs about it with a friend. No worries I took pictures of the beast that tortured me for all of you to have to see as well. No, I did not take the chance of ever having a picture with the tube in, since I just wanted it out as fast as possible.

After completing the day at the Mayo Clinic I met up with the Fleming Family at there brothers for a BBQ (yes on a rainy day) and games. It was a lot of fun, I laughed so hard I was crying. With a bunch of competitive people playing “catch phrase” it gets a little loud and out of control. I will say the best part was the winning team had to do a dance; oh that team happened to do the can-can and had two guys on it. I would pay just to see that again. The evening was very fun and it made my stay here even better. I have had a blast with the Fleming family. It has been great just being treated as part of there family and feeling so welcome. I don’t know what I would have done with out them. I have wonderful memories I will always cherish. Thank you Fleming family, you guys are amazing!!!!


No comments: