Friday, December 19, 2008

Day 5 - Sorry no funny saying...happenings this time

Day 5, at the Mayo Hospital in Phoenix, AZ. I had what appeared to be a short day today; little did I know I would arrive at 8:00 AM and not leave till 5:00 PM. No worries time was all a matter of another world today.

I started my day off with a great thing called an EEG, an ultrasound of the heart through the throat. I have had a few of these since March. Today’s by far was the best one yet. I did not wake up nauseated; I finally awoke after they gave me some medication, and an hour and a half of sleep. Bryan, The Fleming families’ son, was my driver today. He really is a great kid and was so amazingly helpful. Best part was he was entertained and impressed with the hospital enough he did not get board. The nurse was from Indiana and was quite funny. She helped a lot in getting me up on my feet, well kind of, she made sure that Bryan knew to not let me try and walk for at least 3 hours. The doctor performing the EEG was from Australia, here at the Mayo Clinic to get further training to take back to her home country to help them.

Next I was able to meet with the Neurologist fellow, Dr. Byron R. Spencer. He seemed to be very good, not my favorite doctor I have met with, but once Dr. Timothy J. Ingall, he specialized in stoke and cerebrovascular stuff. They did not think I should have had the closure so fast, maybe I should say they think that I should not have had the device at all. They think I should have had open heart surgery to close the connection. He also admitted that everything with the PFO closure devices is still very controversial. Much of it is still in research here at the Mayo Clinic. He feels that the part of what is going on very well could have been caused by the PFO closure device. It was quite interesting to also find out that Dr. Spencer will be in Utah for another Fellow in April at the U of U. Dr. Ingell trained with my neurologist Dr. Futrell in SLC. He feels she is very amazing and asked what she had said when she suggested this closure. He seems to really respect her and still works with her over the phone and such.

Once we were done there at about 5:00 PM, we came back to the house. We had dinner and watched the movie “The Pursuit of Happyness” this movie was very good! I would see it 100 times more if I could. I feel there were some really sad times, I even cried a bit. Over all I enjoyed the movie and took much from it in hope, determination, perseverance, and never giving up on ones dreams no matter how “scary” it may seem. It was a great movie for me to watch with everything going on here.

As for this weekend, it is a time for me to take a break and forget what is happening. I plan to have some good times, laugh, and enjoy all of Phoenix.

Here is the one picture I did have today, just after they were ale to get me up… as I was walking to sit in the wheelchair.

No comments: